Wild Web Woods - Online Game
Wild Web Woods is a online game commissioned by the Council of Europe and designed to help children learn basic Internet safety rules. The game also promotes such key concepts and values underlying the work of the Council of Europe as democracy, respect for others and children’s rights. The game, mainly for children between 7 and 10, is available in more than 20 languages and is supported by a teacher’s guide to assist educators in helping children to use the Internet safely and responsibly. The Guide is structured in eight lessons which provide educators with explanations, tips and practical exercises for children on topics such as managing online identity, learning about children’s rights, how much time they should spend online, privacy and security.
amara (powered by Universal Subtitling)
amara (formerly known as Universal Subtitles) is a community platform that allows for easily captionning and translating of the videos one produces, by seeking assistance from the viewers. Subtitling not only increases the geographical appleal of the vides by adding language versions, but also has the additional advantage of making videos accessible for the deaf and hard-of-hearing. The subtitling (translation and subtitle text addition) is done by volunteering viewers, like a wiki: easy, free and fast with no software to install. As of today August 15 2011) over 117000 videos have already been subtitled with Universal Subtitles.
Amara gives individuals, communities, and larger organizations the power to overcome accessibility and language barriers for online video. The tools are free and open source and make the work of subtitling and translating video simpler, more appealing, and, most of all, more collaborative.
The benefits of captioning and subtitling are immense:
- Captions make videos accessible for viewers who are deaf or hard of hearing
- Translations make it possible for all of us to watch video in languages that we don't speak
- Video creators get: better SEO, more views, access to a far bigger (potentially multilingual and global) audience, accessibility for deaf and hard of hearing viewers, and more
Amara is composed of three main parts:
- A subtitle creation and viewing tool (aka the widget)
- A collaborative subtitling website
- An open protocol for subtitle search/delivery
Select your Languages
Terms of Service