Using Creative Technologies in Elementary Math
The Using Creative Technologies in Elementary Math guide provides articles, samples, and lessons to help you find new ideas and approaches that will work for your elementary students. Math is about numbers, but it can also be drawn, manipulated, interpreted, measured, and constructed.
In the Using Creative Technologies in Elementary Math guide you can find:
- A creative approach to building number sense and problem-solving
- Connecting math to art
- Creating visual representations of mathematic concepts
The guide includes lesson plans where:
- students practice counting through the creation of a holiday counting book.
- students compose images from shapes, describe their composition, and create their own version of the book, The Shape of Things.
- students explore length, width, perimeter, and surface area, convert measurements, and work with 2-D representations of 3-D objects.
- students create original artwork and manipulate images to demonstrate understanding of line symmetry.
- students improve multiplication skills by skip counting and creating multiplication word problems.
- The strategies and lessons in this guide will help you engage students in mathematical thinking through creative technology tools.
Making in Math
Exploring Line Symmetry
Now That's a Problem
The 13 Days of Halloween
The Shape of Things
Dream Room Design
Additional ideas from real student projects
Azahar Portal: Improving communication of people with autism
Azahar is a set of applications available for free download, for communication, leisure and planning via tablet, computer or smartphone, to help to improve the quality of life and autonomy of people with autism and/or intellectual disability.
The applications contain pictograms, images and sounds which can be adapted to each user. New icons, photos of the person and his/her family voices, etc. can also be used, in order to ensure the maximum level of personalization for each application.
In this way, Azahar the applications can be adjusted to the users preferences and needs, according to the level of complexity he/she can handle.
In addition to the applications, the platform Azahar includes a configuration interface, which enables tutors (carers, family, teachers, etc.) to personalise Azahar to ensure the user can gain maximum benefit from each application.
Azahar it is based on the TEACCH programme philosophy for offering a clear visual structure. One of the applications, the SENTENCES CONTRUCTION takes its inspiration from the PECS system.
Azahar is compatible with the Windows, iOS (iPad/iPhone) and Android systems.
Film English - language learning resource site
A website created by Kieran Donaghy, that uses short films to promote cineliteracy - the ability to analyse and interpret moving images - in the language classroom. It is a resource bank containing over 90 lesson plans for teachers designed around moving images.
It is aimed at elementary and advanced learners and their teachers. It is very user-friendly, legible and well organised. The lessons are categorized by topic, level and age appropriateness and include homework and follow-up activities. There is a glossary of common film terms and links for teachers and students to related sites. For ease of use the short films and worksheets are embedded into the site. The teachers do not need to download anything, they only need internet access, a computer and a data-projection in the classroom.
JogNog is a competitive quiz game for students in grades 2 – 12. Over 40,000 educator-created review questions are built on state and national (USA) curriculum standards.
JogNog quiz games are in multiple-choice format—just like standardized tests. To complete any level, the student must score 80% or higher. Missed questions are repeatedly re-presented until the student answers correctly. Educational areas are organized into: English, Math, Science and Social Studies.
On the website it is possible to play JogNog quiz games for free as a trial and the website maintains memory of the played quizzes as long as the connection lasts.
It is also possible to buy the quizzes and using the Design feature, teachers can create their own personalized quiz towers based on the class textbooks and reading materials. Teachers and students can also customize existing quiz towers using the Quick Quiz feature, as well as create personal quizzes.
The JogNog quiz game provides testing, design, and reporting features which offer teacher, parents, and students a robust and valuable educational tool. Reports provide teachers and parents with detail about students’ strengths and weaknesses. Class tools exist for teachers to easily track students’ progress.
Students can now use JogNog Mobile on Apple and Android devices.
• 2nd Grade – Spelling
• 2nd Grade Math
• 3rd Grade – Math
• 3rd, 4th, 5th Grade - English Language Arts
• 3rd, 4th, 5th Grade - Literature 1
• 3rd, 4th, 5th Grade - MCAS Prep
• 3rd, 4th, 5th Grade – Science
• 3rd, 4th, 5th Grade - Social Science
• 3rd, 4th, 5th Grade – Spelling
• 3rd, 4th, 5th Grade – Vocabulary
• 4th Grade – Math
• 5th Grade – Math
• 6th, 7th, 8th Grade - Additional Content 1
• 6th, 7th, 8th Grade - Core Content 1
• 6th, 7th, 8th Grade - Core Content 2
• 6th, 7th, 8th Grade - Life Science
• 6th, 7th, 8th Grade - Literature 1
• 6th, 7th, 8th Grade - MCAS Prep
• 6th, 7th, 8th Grade - World History 1
• 6th, 7th, 8th Grade - World History 2
• 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th Grade - Additional Content 1
• 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th Grade - Literature 1
• 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th Grade - Literature 2
• 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th Grade - MCAS Prep
• 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th Literature 2
• ASC Science Ace - Middle School
• ASC Science Challenge - Middle School
• ASC Tech Challenge - Middle School
• Brain and Cognitive Sciences
• Jog Nog Challenge
• Local History
• Nuclear Engineering