personal learning environment
aPLaNet Teacher Guide
aPLaNet (Personal Learning Networks for Language Teachers) project is a European Union funded project that aims to help educators to understand benefits of shared knowledge based on social networks, and to learn how to build their own professional personal learning networks using social media.
The Teacher Guide is conceived as a theoretical and practical introduction to the project, providing background to the project and explaining its rationale and goals. It reflects on the terms connected with social media environments, positives and use of the networks, presents educational resources suitable both for teachers development and suggestions for usage within a classroom.
This document acts as a guide for educational institutions, teachers and educators to help them understand:
• What social networks and PLNs exist for language educators
• Why language educators should use them
• How teachers can get involved
The Teacher Guide is intended to be as comprehensive as possible so as to provide a wide range of options for growing as a professional and engaging with educators all over the world. It was developed to facilitate and support teachers´ orientation in the world of social media and ICT-based approaches to teaching/learning.
It also provides highly practical suggestions and hints for teachers. It presents a large number of ICT resources divided for better orientation into several categories. All of them are described both in terms of general characteristics, technical and other requirements, steps to be takes for successful set-up and configuration, navigation and operational rules.
1. GET FAMILIAR WITH THE APL ANET PROJECT´S BASIC TERMS
1.2 WHY DO WE NEED TO CHANGE THE WAY WE ROFESSIONALLY DEVELOP: RELEVANCE OFPLNS FOR LANGUAGE EDUCATORS
1. 3. ADVANTAGES OF BECOMING AEUROPEAN TEACHER
1. 4. HOW PLNS CONTRIBUTE TO ‘DIGITAL LITERACY ’
1.5. THIRTEEN GOOD REASONS WHY EDUCATORS SHOULD NETWORK
1. 6. DO YOU SOCIAL NETWORK ? AS AN EDUCATOR,YOU PROBABLY SHOULD
1. 7 WHAT APL ANET PROJECT OFFERS TO DUCATORS
2. 1.ABOUT THE APL ANET PROJECT
2. 2. INCREASING DIGITAL LITERACY WITHICTTOOLS ANDSOCIAL ETWORKS
2. 3. INTERNET TOOLS AND HOW TO USE THEM IN LANGUAGE TEACHING
2.4. SOCIAL NETWORKS
2.5. WEB RESOURCES
2.6. GET INVOLVED IN PERSONAL LEARNING ENVIRONMENT
2.8. GLOSSARY OF TERMS